Purpose Statement

Exploration -> Experience -> Feeling -> Awareness -> Understanding -> Transformation -> Liberation

Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Impermanence of All Things

Today is the 11th anniversary of Arjan’s death. Yesterday I hiked to the place where he died. Today I ate Tofu Normandy at The Garland Restaurant, a special meal in a special restaurant with many memories of shared experiences with Arjan. Tonight I will visit Red and open a special bottle of wine.

My college roommate David Duimich died today.

I am conflicted. I feel the tremendous urgency of the Buddha’s final words:

All things must pass away. Strive for your own salvation with diligence.

and the Jiki’s reminder:

Let me remind you
Life and Death are of supreme importance.
Time passes swiftly by and opportunity is lost.
Each of us should strive
to awaken
awaken.
Take Heed. Do not squander your life.

And yet, simultaneously, I feel the detachment of the Prajna Paramita:

... all things are essentially empty –
not born, not destroyed

... there is nothing to attain

And as I contemplate the impermanence of all things, Bindi and April scratch at my legs to remind me that it is time for dinner. They are hungry.

No comments: