Purpose Statement

Exploration -> Experience -> Feeling -> Awareness -> Understanding -> Transformation -> Liberation

Monday, December 06, 2010

Life as a House

My house in Elko has a "pop-out" on the second floor: Inside this "pop-out" is a bathtub:
On November 24, the high temperature in Elko was 15F which was lower than the record 20F recorded in 1931. On November 25, the low temperature in Elko was -14F which beat the previous record low of -9F recorded in 1898. I was in Tucson at the time enjoying sunshine and warmth and Thanksgiving with Mom and Dad. Unfortunately, the copper water pipes that feed my bathtub in the second floor pop-out froze and burst. When I returned to Elko the evening of December 5, I found my house to be something of a disaster. My kitchen: The crawlspace under my house was completely flooded:
Here is what a copper pipe freeze-burst looks like:
My wood floors are buckling as they dry:The damage is quite extensive. I have a water-damage-remediation-contractor demolishing most all of the walls and floors. It will be another week or so before we know the full extent of the damage.

I am not quite ready to wax philosophical on this experience as I am still in the thick of it, but a thoughtful friend reminded me today that my favorite story is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. That gave me some good perspective.

This adventure will inevitably bias my worldview either toward a perspective of scarcity or a perspective of abundance. Let's hope it turns out to be abundance.

No comments: