Purpose Statement

Exploration -> Experience -> Feeling -> Awareness -> Understanding -> Transformation -> Liberation

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Applied Buddhism

"Human beings tend to be miserable because they are preoccupied with themselves. When they are free of their self-centeredness they can find happiness."

"... compassion is the personal experience and practice of interbeing. We live our short lives not merely in interdependence but as a single great organism of many dynamic elements. What happens to you happens to me; what happens to me happens to you - at the same moment with the same intensity."

Some time ago, I was stretching in the Zendo, preparing for Zazen. A mosquito landed on my bare forearm. "Does the mosquito have Buddha nature?" I asked myself, knowing that of course she does. I swatted her and flicked the smudge that was her delicate body off my arm. The jikki rang the gong. I rose, bowed, and entered the Zendo.

I received an invitation today to join the fun of the first annual Barrick Cortez Coyote Call. Two hundred teams of two (four hundred individuals) will spend two days hunting coyotes in northern Nevada. The team that kills the largest coyote will win two rifles. Cash prizes will be awarded to the second and third place teams.

A work colleague, a veteran, and I were discussing a nuclear Iran and the second coming of the Persian empire. He, quite seriously, suggested that the US should nuke Tehran and strategic Iranian industrial sites. His exact words were "Level the place. If they need somebody to push the button, I'd be happy to do it and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it."

All the evil karma ever created by me since of old,
On account of my beginningless greed, hatred, and ignorance,
born of my conduct, speech and thought,
I now confess, openly and fully.
We are out exploring.
www.footfinandfeather.com

No comments: